Monday 28 March 2016

Taking the biscotti

To mark the arrival of British summertime (not a moment too soon), I've made biscotti. Not just any biscotti either, Bee Berrie's Chocolate orange biscotti from her inaugural recipe book. Brilliantly inventive, uber-stylishly photographed, the book is crammed full of biscuit recipes that firmly puts the fun back into baking. Mug of tea cookies, Fortune cookies, Rubik's cube cookies, Jammie dodgers, style AND substance.



I was fortunate enough to attend the book launch a few weeks back and came away with a signed copy, somewhat intoxicated on delicious Amaretti biscuittinis (recipe included in the book). I've been itching to try my hand at one of recipes since and settled on the Chocolate orange biscotti as I'd never made biscotti before and I had some oranges lying around. I ended up deviating from the original recipe ever so slightly (sorry Bee!) by swapping some of the nut varieties to what I had in the cupboard. The end result appears to have been unaffected. They're proper tasty.

The recipe was really easy to follow, with fool proof instructions and helpful tips. I shall definitely be exploring further. In fact, friends with an impending birthday can prepare themselves for cookie based presents. Perhaps some stencilled biscuits with choice wording, me, fuck, old, you're.

What I like about the book, apart from the awe-inducing photos, is that Bee seems to be declaring that quirky and cool baked creations aren't just the entitlement of the gentrified bourgeoisie with money to burn. We can all be artisans. With icing, stencils and cookie cutters in our armoury and taste combination tutelage from Bee herself, the biscuit revolution starts here. Vive la patisserie!

To get your hands on a copy of Bee's Brilliant Biscuits from a retailer that pays their fair share into the British state purse, visit your local bookshop (unless it's closed down because the tax avoiding antics of corporate behemoths have forced their hand) or go online, Foyles for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment