Saturday 12 March 2016

Not on my watch

I've got myself a new toy in the shape of a Sony Smartwatch 3, my first foray into the weird and wonderful world of 'wearables'. Having something cleverer than yourself on your wrist does have its benefits. For instance you can change the fascia like 20 times a day. How I managed to live life without one is beyond me.





Good innit? The main reason for investing in yet another electricity draining gadget was to replace the slightly uncomfortable mobile arm strap when out running with something eminently more portable, however here's where it's somewhat less brainy. 

I use the Nike+ app for tracking my runs and keeping me informed of pace and distance. This particular app isn't available on Android Wear, presumably because Nike are bed fellows with Apple. Sort it out Google. The OS isn't the most intuitive and accessing app menus can feel a bit clunky. Worst of all though, you can't play Spotify through the watch. Doh! I stopped (il)legally purchase music years ago so having to load the watch with MP3s feels regressive and far from clever. At least I can change the fascia 40 times a day though so all is not lost.

I bought the watch as an impulse whilst in Sweden. My parents were buying a laptop and I stumbled upon the watch in the electronics shop. It was 15 quid CHEAPER than the UK. Result. It had its first outing a misty morning in Åmål (of Fucking Åmål fame), 5.47 km of cross country skiing, completed in 35 mins and 52 seconds. Gunde Svan I am not. But I can change the fascia 60 times a day. Life is good

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I've stumbled across stills from a Star Trek episode circa 1980. Oh how we laughed when Capt Kirk spoke to his wrist. Well, who's laughing now, huh...

    ReplyDelete