Friday 12 August 2016

Happy feet

A few years ago I made a pledge to myself to never again wear plain old boring socks. My feet had spent a lifetime walking round in the distinctly limited palette of black, brown and grey. And white tube socks of course. Socks of a jazzier hue was a concept so alien that HR Geiger himself would've been more likely to start churning out pop art or twee water lillies.

Buoyed by the sudden upturn in the stylistic offerings from Primark, they definitely do the best cheapo socks, I set about amassing a vast collection of patterns, colours and motifs. Nothing's off limits. Orange zebra rubbing shoulders with purple camouflage. My feet are eternally grateful. Life in technicolour is infinitely more exciting. 

Menswear, as most of us know it, is fairly void of options, particularly on the lower half. Jeans, chinos, trousers. Trousers, chinos, jeans. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the 'dressy jogger'. What's more, unless you're of a flamboyant ilk your bottoms are all plain coloured. A pair of jaunty socks adds a better balance and makes your feet more jolly. They'll practically skip down the street.

Unless I stick to Primark, I buy all my socks in the sale. Why pay full price when you can get them for a quid, or less? I tend to buy a pair or two a month. I'm fully committed to keeping my feet happy. The Topman sale is a particularly great source of cheap and positively random socks. 'Toucan play that game' in turquoise was a recent purchase. It doesn't get much better than that. Below are some others, including a set of three fast food themed socks. A foot long wiener. Say no more.

Sock collection


Maintaining happy feet also means investing in appropriate footwear. As befits the summer months, I've acquired some casual varieties over the last month or so. 

Nike trainers
Adidas trainers

River Island plimsolls

Pink and orange trainers from Nike
Grey and red trainers from Adidas
Red plimsolls from River Island

So whether it be socks or shoes, think colour, think bright, think fun, think It's My Life by Dr Alban. Happy feet makeths the man.

1 comment:

  1. wow... colourful socks... it will makes u'r feet happy all day long...

    ReplyDelete